Hugh Hamill of Roughwood and his family are known to have accompanied Sir Hugh Montgomery of nearby Broadstone to Ireland, where they made their base in Antrim, whilst the Montgomerys set up in the Ards Peninsula, now Newtonards.
Robert Shedden purchased the lands in 1713 from the Hammils and they later passed to the Patricks, by which time the 250 acres or so of mainly moss and clay lands were very neglected and ruinous, having last been improved in the 1770s.
The Patricks greatly improved the property by enclosing the lands, installing drainage, building a road through the estate, rebuilding the farmhouses, and ornamenting the lands with plantations.
The Right Reverend R G Shedden held the property in the 1950s. The lands remain a farm to this day, with interesting carvings of a cat or fox, pigeon ? (1890 HP) and cockerel (WRP) recording links with the previous owners.