Beith Town railway station was originally part of the Glasgow, Barrhead, and Kilmarnock Joint Railway, openning on 26 June 1873 as just Beith, but renamed Beith Town on 28 February 1953. This line was also operated by the Caledonian Railway, the Glasgow & South Western Railway and finally the London, Midland, and Scottish Railway before becoming a part of British Railways in 1948.
TBeith Town station was the terminus for a branchline that ran via Barrmill station to Lugton where it met the mainline railway with its services to Glasgow and Kilmarnock.
Despite a diesel railbus service starting on 3 April 1959 the branchline closed permanently to passengers services on 5 November 1962, however the freight services did linger on at the station's goods yard until 1964, where David McCracken, Gibbie Woods and John Kirk had coal sidings.
The station was demolished in 1962 and the site has since been redeveloped into a housing estate along Balfour Avenue, which itself largely follows the course of the old track bed. The course of the old line running in a cutting towards Barrmill can be seen from the bypass overbridge and the station master's house, with its typical railway architecture, still survives near Grahamfield Place.
Another Beith station had opened on 21 July 1840 on the line to Ayr, renamed as Beith North on 2 June 1924 and closed permanently on 4 June 1951.